To travel or not during COVID has been the big question on a lot of our minds this year. At the start of the pandemic, everything came to a stop. Time has progressed and it doesn’t appear to be going back to the norm we’ve grown accustom to. That doesn’t mean we can’t get back some of our old lives, with the help of special guidelines. As you continue to read below you will find a list of helpful tips to make your trips more comfortable. All of the listed tips are things suggestions and not guarantees.
1. Listen to local health officials
You should always listen to your local health officials. For example, if you are sick stay home, if a shelter in place order is in effect where you live stay home. If it is in place where you would like to visit choose a new location. A quick google search can get you onto your local health departments page for up to date information.
2. Things to keep in mind while traveling during COVID
Before even picking a destination these are some factors that will help determine taking a local road trip, staying within the US, or traveling internationally. Some places will also have capacity restrictions and reservation policies in place. If you can not stick to these guidelines I recommend staying home. Adhering to all guidelines is a must.
- COVID-19 is mainly spread through person to person contact
- If you are sick stay home
- Keeping an eye on how your feeling should be a daily occurrence
- Washing your hands frequently, using hand sanitizer
- Avoiding contact with eyes, face, and nose
- Wear a mask properly covering the mouth and nose whenever in a public setting
- Maintain 6 feet distance between yourself and others
- Avoid contact with anyone who has symptoms
- Properly dispose and sanitize masks after use
3. Does my destination have requirements?
Being aware of what is happening in the city you have chosen to visit is key. Many places may not be open, have capacity limitations, and require reservations. Sticking to the guidelines mentioned above and putting in the extra time to research the location you want to visit will save a lot of headache and confusion once you arrive. Check state, local health official websites, and the country’s office of foreign affairs if you are looking to travel internationally.
4. Where to stay?
When it comes to where to stay, even in the time of COVID, the options are countless. In some places you can ask for rooms or locations that haven’t been used as an extra precaution but it is ultimately the businesses decision.
- Air BNB
- RV Travel
- Tent Camping
5. Travel Pack?
Now that we have a place to go what to pack other than the normal essentials? Below are some of the items I bring because of COVID and regardless of it.
- Hand sanitizer- I recommend the spray
- Antibacterial hand soap
- Disinfectant wipes-Good to clean surfaces in a hotel room, or rental car you may be using
- Bleach or disinfectant spray- Good to clean showers and surfaces as an added precaution
- Bringing your own blankets, linens, and towels from home
- Slippers or room socks to make sure your feet are protected at all times
With bringing these items you can do an additional sanitization to help you feel comfortable in your surroundings. These are great items and ideas to have even when doing normal travel.
Travel during COVID can be a scary thing, but all of the travel tips listed can help aid in preventing the spread of the virus, while allowing you to get out of the house. However these tips are not guarantees, the decision to travel is ultimately yours to make, Be safe and have fun in what ever you chose!